Public Health Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Public Health Forum

A Forum to discuss Public Health Issues in Pakistan

Welcome to the most comprehensive portal on Community Medicine/ Public Health in Pakistan. This website contains content rich information for Medical Students, Post Graduates in Public Health, Researchers and Fellows in Public Health, and encompasses all super specialties of Public Health. The site is maintained by Dr Nayyar R. Kazmi

Latest topics

» Polio Endemic Countries on the Globe
OPTIMIZING THE POLIO INFRASTRUCTURE for VPD SURVEILLANCE EmptySat Apr 08, 2023 8:31 am by Dr Abdul Aziz Awan

» Video for our MPH colleagues. Must watch
OPTIMIZING THE POLIO INFRASTRUCTURE for VPD SURVEILLANCE EmptySun Aug 07, 2022 11:56 pm by The Saint

» Salam
OPTIMIZING THE POLIO INFRASTRUCTURE for VPD SURVEILLANCE EmptySun Jan 31, 2021 7:40 am by mr dentist

» Feeling Sad
OPTIMIZING THE POLIO INFRASTRUCTURE for VPD SURVEILLANCE EmptyTue Feb 04, 2020 8:27 pm by mr dentist

» Look here. Its 2020 and this is what we found
OPTIMIZING THE POLIO INFRASTRUCTURE for VPD SURVEILLANCE EmptyMon Jan 27, 2020 7:23 am by izzatullah

» Sad News
OPTIMIZING THE POLIO INFRASTRUCTURE for VPD SURVEILLANCE EmptyFri Jan 11, 2019 6:17 am by ameen

» Pakistan Demographic Profile 2018
OPTIMIZING THE POLIO INFRASTRUCTURE for VPD SURVEILLANCE EmptyFri May 18, 2018 9:42 am by Dr Abdul Aziz Awan

» Good evening all fellows
OPTIMIZING THE POLIO INFRASTRUCTURE for VPD SURVEILLANCE EmptyWed Apr 25, 2018 10:16 am by Dr Abdul Aziz Awan

» Urdu Poetry
OPTIMIZING THE POLIO INFRASTRUCTURE for VPD SURVEILLANCE EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 12:28 pm by Dr Abdul Aziz Awan

Navigation

Affiliates

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 8425 messages in 1135 subjects

We have 439 registered users

The newest registered user is Dr. Arshad Nadeem Awan

3 posters

OPTIMIZING THE POLIO INFRASTRUCTURE for VPD SURVEILLANCE

Dr. Zubair
    Dr. Zubair

Leo Number of posts : 488
    Registration date : 2008-06-07

OPTIMIZING THE POLIO INFRASTRUCTURE for VPD SURVEILLANCE Empty OPTIMIZING THE POLIO INFRASTRUCTURE for VPD SURVEILLANCE

Post by Dr. Zubair Thu May 21, 2009 10:18 am

I feel good (being student of Public health) that I am one of the influencers for the following decision at the national level (my inspiration being my teacher in Public health). The initiative will begin from July 2009.

Following is a paragraph from national surveillance bulletin about the integration of preferred VPDs in AFP surveillance:

"The Federal EPI Cell, Ministry of Health Pakistan initiates to optimize the benefits of elaborated Acute Flaccid Paralysis (AFP) surveillance system to support the surveillance of measles and neonatal tetanus. The reporting of suspected measles and neonatal tetanus cases is being added in the weekly zero reporting form which is a part of the existing AFP surveillance system. The forms for the health facilities (see below) and collation forms which are used by the district and provincial teams have been modified accordingly. A total of 4,419 health facilities within both the public and private sectors have been chosen as weekly zero reporting sites throughout the country. Analysis conducted in 2009 has shown that a total of 28% of the reported AFP cases have been from the private sector. This reinforces the importance of engaging both the public and private sectors in surveillance and immunization activities.

A mechanism is being instituted through which reporting of the above diseases through routine reporting and other information system like HMIS (Health Management Information System) will be monitored and compared with the objective of an eventual integration."

OPTIMIZING THE POLIO INFRASTRUCTURE for VPD SURVEILLANCE Zr10
    Dr Abu Zar Taizai
    Dr Abu Zar Taizai

Aries Number of posts : 1163
    Job : Co-ordinator DHIS: District NowsheraAnd Coordinator Public Health
    Registration date : 2008-03-09

OPTIMIZING THE POLIO INFRASTRUCTURE for VPD SURVEILLANCE Empty Re: OPTIMIZING THE POLIO INFRASTRUCTURE for VPD SURVEILLANCE

Post by Dr Abu Zar Taizai Thu May 21, 2009 7:59 pm

Dr Zubair! Wish You Good Luck in This New Experince....
    If you Could Also add Hypothyroidism in the new proforma,it will be much applauded.

Dr Nayyar will help you in the Standard Case Definition of the Later.it will be more Correct and Experince based than your WHO Definition. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    The Saint
    The Saint
    Admin

Sagittarius Number of posts : 2444
    Job : Consultant in Paediatric Emergency Medicine, NHS, Kent, England, UK
    Registration date : 2007-02-22

OPTIMIZING THE POLIO INFRASTRUCTURE for VPD SURVEILLANCE Empty Re: OPTIMIZING THE POLIO INFRASTRUCTURE for VPD SURVEILLANCE

Post by The Saint Thu May 21, 2009 8:38 pm

The Case Definition is simple and consists of the following criteria

1) Enrolled in MPH Program
    2) Cannot speak English properly
    3) Stares blankly at the teacher
    4) Profound confusion in midterm exam
    5) Always complains notes are not available on website

If this criteria is present, it is a straight away case of CONGENITAL HYPOTHYROIDISM and the person should be immediately notified to the WHO
    Dr. Zubair
    Dr. Zubair

Post by Dr. Zubair Thu May 21, 2009 8:57 pm

Ha ha ha. Smile Well. I wonder if it is considered at some point in time to change the name of Hypothyroidism after A-University ...... something like Abasynism etc. Smile
    The Saint
    The Saint
    Admin

Post by The Saint Thu May 21, 2009 9:21 pm

Yes, exactly....Clustering of cases.....Can be called Hypothyroidism- A
    Dr. Zubair
    Dr. Zubair

Post by Dr. Zubair Fri May 22, 2009 7:08 am

By the way dear brother Abu zar, you being the HMIS person can play a role in the utilization of this initiative in your district. I am sure you are going to follow it (unlike the sluggish sarkari behaviour of others) Smile . Even sometimes our WHO surveillance officers are sluggish; please ensure these reports are glanced upon weekly to notice any unusual trend and no cases go un-responded. (stool samples for AFP and blood samples for suspected measles to be despatched to NIH Islamabad).

Recently, measles outbreak was confirmed by the laboratory in South Waziristan where some 15 suspected measles cases were reported; samples were collected from 7 of them and Laboratory confirmd 6 of them. I will share the precise information once I get an authentic report.

I think its us who have to initiate some change if there has to occur some. Playing one's small individual role can make the collective achievements occur.

Thanks
    Dr. Zubair
    Dr. Zubair

Post by Dr. Zubair Fri May 22, 2009 7:16 am

Sir,
    This is some unique clustering. Always a place (A-university) is clustered with cases of hypothyroidism. A clustering in space - throughout the year. And as you once said in the class, the number of clustered cases is increasing semester by semester with the passage of time Smile Smile LOL
    Dr Abu Zar Taizai
    Dr Abu Zar Taizai

Post by Dr Abu Zar Taizai Fri May 22, 2009 11:27 am

and one more Criterion:
    Remains absent for one to two days after the Result is announced.
    Zubair Yes,I will support you in this mission.
    The Saint
    The Saint
    Admin

Post by The Saint Fri May 22, 2009 11:44 am

This time I had to remove the result because in a span of 5 days I got around 500 emails from my friends inside Pakistan and abroad, saying extreme "Laanat" on those who failed. I guess a world out there now knows these world class Hypos and they are very eager to meet them. One of my classfellow currently in UK has offered to keep them in a museum in UK, so people can pay tribute to the Hypos
    Dr Abu Zar Taizai
    Dr Abu Zar Taizai

Post by Dr Abu Zar Taizai Fri May 22, 2009 6:45 pm

These Hypos are our National Asset,and cannot Hand-over to the Europeans.
    The Saint
    The Saint
    Admin

Post by The Saint Fri May 22, 2009 7:13 pm

The way their population is expanding, soon we will be seeing a Hypo sitting on the head of another Hypo, Khar da pasa Khar
    Dr Abu Zar Taizai
    Dr Abu Zar Taizai

Post by Dr Abu Zar Taizai Sat May 23, 2009 6:20 am

Khar da pasa Khar
    Nu bia kho landenay khar ba merr (Dead) she.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:11 pm