Public Health Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Public Health Forum

A Forum to discuss Public Health Issues in Pakistan

Welcome to the most comprehensive portal on Community Medicine/ Public Health in Pakistan. This website contains content rich information for Medical Students, Post Graduates in Public Health, Researchers and Fellows in Public Health, and encompasses all super specialties of Public Health. The site is maintained by Dr Nayyar R. Kazmi

Latest topics

» Polio Endemic Countries on the Globe
Briefs about Epidemiological Study Designs EmptySat Apr 08, 2023 8:31 am by Dr Abdul Aziz Awan

» Video for our MPH colleagues. Must watch
Briefs about Epidemiological Study Designs EmptySun Aug 07, 2022 11:56 pm by The Saint

» Salam
Briefs about Epidemiological Study Designs EmptySun Jan 31, 2021 7:40 am by mr dentist

» Feeling Sad
Briefs about Epidemiological Study Designs EmptyTue Feb 04, 2020 8:27 pm by mr dentist

» Look here. Its 2020 and this is what we found
Briefs about Epidemiological Study Designs EmptyMon Jan 27, 2020 7:23 am by izzatullah

» Sad News
Briefs about Epidemiological Study Designs EmptyFri Jan 11, 2019 6:17 am by ameen

» Pakistan Demographic Profile 2018
Briefs about Epidemiological Study Designs EmptyFri May 18, 2018 9:42 am by Dr Abdul Aziz Awan

» Good evening all fellows
Briefs about Epidemiological Study Designs EmptyWed Apr 25, 2018 10:16 am by Dr Abdul Aziz Awan

» Urdu Poetry
Briefs about Epidemiological Study Designs EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 12:28 pm by Dr Abdul Aziz Awan

Navigation

Affiliates

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 8425 messages in 1135 subjects

We have 439 registered users

The newest registered user is Dr. Arshad Nadeem Awan

3 posters

Briefs about Epidemiological Study Designs

The Saint
    The Saint
    Admin

Sagittarius Number of posts : 2444
    Job : Consultant in Paediatric Emergency Medicine, NHS, Kent, England, UK
    Registration date : 2007-02-22

Briefs about Epidemiological Study Designs Empty Briefs about Epidemiological Study Designs

Post by The Saint Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:58 pm

Briefs about Epidemiological Study Designs

Study designPopulation ExposureHealth EffectConfoundersProblemsAdvantages
    Case reports, case series and other descriptive studies Community or various sub-populations Records of past measurements Mortality and morbidity statistics; case registers; other reports Difficult to sort out Hard to establish exposure-effect relationships Cheap, useful to formulate hypothesis
    Cross-sectional study Communities or special groups; exposed vs non-exposed Current Current Usually Current exposure may be irrelevant to current disease Can be done quickly; can use large populations; can estimate prevalence
    Case-control study Disease (cases) vs non-diseased (controls) Records or interview Known at start of study If confounders can be identified and measured they may be addressed Difficult to generalise; may incorporate biases; cannot derive rates Relatively cheap and quick; particularly useful for studying rare diseases
    Time-series study Large community (several million people); susceptible groups such as asthmatics Current e.g. daily changes in exposure Current e.g. daily variations in mortality Often difficult to sort out, e.g. effects of influenza Many confounding factors, often difficult to measure Useful for studies on acute effects
    Historical (retrospective cohort study Special groups e.g. workers, patients, injured persons Records of past measurement Records of past or current diagnosis Often difficult because of retrospective nature; depends on availability of previously obtained data Need to rely on records that may not be accurate Less expensive and quicker than prospective study; can be used to study exposures that no longer exist
    Prospective cohort study Community or special groups; exposed vs non-exposed Defined at start of study (can change during study) To be determined during study Usually easy to measure Expensive, time consuming; exposure categories can change; high dropout rate possible Can
    estimate incidence and relative risk; can study many diseases in one
    study; can describe associations that suggest cause effect relationships
    Experimental (invention study) Community or special groups Controlled/ known already To be measured during study Can be controlled by randomisation of subject Expensive ethical considerations; study subjects compliance required Well accepted results; strong evidence for causality or efficacy of intervention

(adapted from WHO, 1991)

Applications of different observational study designs

EcologicalCross-sectionalCase-control Cohort
    Investigation of rare disease
    + + + +
    -
    + + + + +
    -
    Investigation of rare cause
    + +
    -
    -
    + + + + +
    Testing multiple effects of cause
    +
    + +
    -
    + + + + +
    Study of multiple exposures and determinants
    + +
    + +
    + + + +
    + + +
    Measurement of time relationship
    + +
    -
    +a
    + + + + +
    Direct measurement of incidence
    -
    -
    +b
    + + + + +
    Investigation of long latent periods
    -

-

+ + +

+c/-

Key: +…+ + + + + indicates the degree of suitability
    -not suitable
    a If prospective
    b If population-based
    c If retrospective or historical cohort study
    (adapted from Beaglehole et al, 1993)

Advantages and disadvantages of different observational study designs

Ecological Cross-sectional Case-control Cohort
    Probability of:
    selection bias
    recall bias
    loss to follow-up

N/A
    N/A

N/A

Medium
    High

N/A

High
    High

Low

Low
    Low

High
    Confounding
    High
    Medium
    Medium
    Low
    Time required
    Low
    Medium
    Medium
    High
    Cost
    Low
    Medium
    Medium
    High

(from Beaglehole et al, 1993)
    Dr Abu Zar Taizai
    Dr Abu Zar Taizai

Aries Number of posts : 1163
    Job : Co-ordinator DHIS: District NowsheraAnd Coordinator Public Health
    Registration date : 2008-03-09

Briefs about Epidemiological Study Designs Empty Re: Briefs about Epidemiological Study Designs

Post by Dr Abu Zar Taizai Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:04 pm

Dear and Respected Dr Arshad Mehmood!
    Please! Download and Save the above Table it is very much usefull for you to understand,which type of study is used for which pupose. It will widen your understandabilty about the various types of studies.
    By the way sir,since some mishappenings with your account you dont appear on the Forum.
    I cannot come to your home,as I am getting training in MCH in the Hayat Abad Medical Complex from 24 March to 2nd April (11 days). The Daily TA,DA and Lodging is around 3300/Day.From Pabbi Hospital only one DR from Paeds Samiullah is attending,the other Doctor I think Nazir did not come today if Dr Nazir is not Comming Please Tell Dr Taqveem to come I will talk to the EDO about this change.
    There are Drs from all over the province,The majority have done MPH From various Universities,Today was the first day,I went there well prepared,there was good discussion about the Subject matter,I represented Abasyn University superbly, all the facilitators appreciated me too much and Ienjoyed it. The others were all "PAIDAL" (By Foot)
    The timings are from 08:30 am to 6:00 pm.I requested them to let me go to attend the MPH Class on 3 scheduled days,They are considering it but have not repllied yet.
    Have a Nice Night,
    Yours
    Dr Abu Zar
    Dr Abdul Aziz Awan
    Dr Abdul Aziz Awan

Pisces Number of posts : 685
    Job : National Coordinator for Polio Surveillance
    Registration date : 2007-02-23

Briefs about Epidemiological Study Designs Empty More about epidemiological studys

Post by Dr Abdul Aziz Awan Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:45 am

The Saint
    The Saint
    Admin

Briefs about Epidemiological Study Designs Empty Re: Briefs about Epidemiological Study Designs

Post by The Saint Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:17 am

Aziz, I dont know if any of the cretins reads the stuff regularly posted by you and me, because in exam, most of them write that the best method to purify water is to mix Potassium Cyanide in it.
    Dr Abdul Aziz Awan
    Dr Abdul Aziz Awan

Pisces Number of posts : 685
    Job : National Coordinator for Polio Surveillance
    Registration date : 2007-02-23

Post by Dr Abdul Aziz Awan Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:34 pm

One of my teaches in District Health Department in charge of EPI vaccination used to do some valuable tricks with vaccinators. During his monitoring visit to different areas of district Attock, he used to leave “CHITS” with his signatures at different house holds. After coming back to office, his prime a minimum requirement was to collect those “CHITS” from unknown households. It was a cumbersome job for those vaccinators but they had to do that. If such exercise can be implemented here just to raise the “MB”(megabites), it will really stimulate their “ NEPHRON” rather neurons.
    And the reality is, “Where there is will, there is a way”.
    I don’t know from where these students pay an amount almost equal to 100K for so called MPH. Buying a degree and gaining knowledge and having a degree are two different aspects. These students (you call them Idiots/goofs/hypothyroids etc) are on the giving ends as they are paying cash money to University and getting nothing. In normal life, such deal is called, “FOOLISH DEAL”. In 21st century, education is accessible and at doorstep because of fast internet facility.
    I have remained a student of Abasyn University Peshawar for more than 2 years. If I can contribute anything in achieving the goals and objectives of this Institution, I will feel always proud and pleasure. Please come up with any solution to the problem which you have identified.
    The Saint
    The Saint
    Admin

Post by The Saint Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:54 pm

I have been in teaching stuff right from the time when I was a student. I have seen many difficult students with varying abilities, but they somehow succeeded because "THERE WAS A WILL TO LEARN", there was a sincerity with the profession.
    The current lot has been experimented with a variety of ways, but to no avail, because there is just one single reason responsible and that is, that they simply dont want to learn and just want a degree, as most of institutions have made it mandatory to have a higher qualification in health.
    So what we have, plenty of Afghani stuff, some and few of them are hard working and intelligent, others are plain idiots. Similarly our Paki lot is mostly nurses, Lhv's, homeopaths, and quacks.
    Anyhow, I have lost all hopes in these idiots. I concentrate on a few good people now rather than wasting my energies on these rough nuts

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 16, 2024 1:28 pm