Public Health Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Public Health Forum

A Forum to discuss Public Health Issues in Pakistan

Welcome to the most comprehensive portal on Community Medicine/ Public Health in Pakistan. This website contains content rich information for Medical Students, Post Graduates in Public Health, Researchers and Fellows in Public Health, and encompasses all super specialties of Public Health. The site is maintained by Dr Nayyar R. Kazmi

Latest topics

» Polio Endemic Countries on the Globe
Change Management EmptySat Apr 08, 2023 8:31 am by Dr Abdul Aziz Awan

» Video for our MPH colleagues. Must watch
Change Management EmptySun Aug 07, 2022 11:56 pm by The Saint

» Salam
Change Management EmptySun Jan 31, 2021 7:40 am by mr dentist

» Feeling Sad
Change Management EmptyTue Feb 04, 2020 8:27 pm by mr dentist

» Look here. Its 2020 and this is what we found
Change Management EmptyMon Jan 27, 2020 7:23 am by izzatullah

» Sad News
Change Management EmptyFri Jan 11, 2019 6:17 am by ameen

» Pakistan Demographic Profile 2018
Change Management EmptyFri May 18, 2018 9:42 am by Dr Abdul Aziz Awan

» Good evening all fellows
Change Management EmptyWed Apr 25, 2018 10:16 am by Dr Abdul Aziz Awan

» Urdu Poetry
Change Management EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 12:28 pm by Dr Abdul Aziz Awan

Navigation

Affiliates

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 8425 messages in 1135 subjects

We have 439 registered users

The newest registered user is Dr. Arshad Nadeem Awan

Change Management

Dr Abdul Aziz Awan
    Dr Abdul Aziz Awan

Pisces Number of posts : 685
    Job : National Coordinator for Polio Surveillance
    Registration date : 2007-02-23

Change Management Empty Change Management

Post by Dr Abdul Aziz Awan Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:16 pm

Change management
    The concept of change management describes a structured approach to transitions in individuals, teams, organizations and societies that moves the target from a current state to a desired state. Stated simply, change management is a process for managing the people-side of change. The most recent research points to a combination of organizational change management tools and individual change management models for effective change to take place.
    Theories of Change
    The evolution of the change management field stems from psychology, business and engineering. Hence, some models are derived from an organizational development perspective whereas others are based on individual behavioral models. For this reason, this section is divided into two sub-categories: Individual Change Management and Organizational Change Management. Understanding of both individual and organizational change theory is necessary to implement effective change management processes and tools.
    Individual Change Management
    An early model of change developed by Kurt Lewin described change as a three-stage process. The first stage he called "unfreezing". It involved overcoming inertia and dismantling the existing "mind set". Defense mechanisms have to be bypassed. In the second stage the change occurs. This is typically a period of confusion. We are aware that the old ways are being challenged but we do not have a clear picture to replace them with yet. The third and final stage he called "refreezing". The new mindset is crystallizing and one's comfort level is returning to previous levels.
    Some change theories are based on derivatives of the Kübler-Ross model from Elizabeth Kubler-Ross's book, "On Death and Dying." Her model describes five stages of human reaction to the loss of a loved one:
    1.Denial - The "This can't be real" stage:
    "This is not happening to me. There must be a mistake."
    2. Anger - The "Why me?" stage.:
    "How dare they do this to me?!"
    3. Bargaining - The "If I do this, you'll do that" stage.:
    "Just let me keep some of my old privileges and I will buy in."
    4. Depression - The "Defeated" stage.:
    "I can't bear to face going through this."
    5. Acceptance - The "This is going to happen" stage.:
    "I'm ready, I don't want to struggle anymore."
    Manfred Max-Neef has developed a comprehensive model on human needs that explains resistance to change and potential interventions to deal with it.
    Research conducted by Prosci with more than 1000 organizations from 59 countries shows that people must achieve five building blocks in order for change to be realized successfully. These building blocks are described by the ADKAR Model and include awareness, desire, knowledge, ability and reinforcement.
    1. Awareness – of why the change is needed
    2. Desire – to support and participate in the change
    3. Knowledge – of how to change
    4. Ability – to implement new skills and behaviors
    5. Reinforcement – to sustain the change
    Organizational Change Management
    Organizational change management models present an overall process for managing the people side of the change at an organizational level. Models of this type have been developed by a number of different authors, corporations and research organizations over the past 30 years including work by John KotterGabrielle O'DonovanProsci Research (Change Management Toolkit), Daryl Connor, Jeanenne LaMarsh Dean Anderson and Linda Ackerman (Beyond Change Management), GE (GE CAP process) and work by Holger Nauheimer (Change Management Toolbook) to name a few. When combined with an understanding of individual change management, these models provide a framework for managing the people side of change.
    Management's role
    Management's first responsibility (and that of administration in case of political changes) is to detect trends in the macroenvironment as well as in the microenvironment so as to be able to identify changes and initiate programs. It is also important to estimate what impact a change will likely have on employee behaviour patterns, work processes, technological requirements, and motivation. Management must assess what employee reactions will be and craft a change program that will provide support as workers go through the process of accepting change. The program must then be implemented, disseminated throughout the organization, monitored for effectiveness, and adjusted where necessary.
    Gabrielle O'Donovan has designed a strategic implementation plan for a culture transformation programme.
    1. Strategic Planning and Design; Back to the Drawing Board, Form the Strategic Management Team, Create Programme Vision and Define Strategy, Organise the Workforce, Design Core Programme and Embedding Mechanisms
    2. Strategy Implementation; Communicate Vision and Programme Roll-out, Manage the Human Landscape, Maintain the Momentum and Solidify Ground Made
    3. Evaluation and Readjustment; Measure Results and Plan for the Future
    Schools and Concepts of Change Management
    Most contemporary approaches to change management are based on one or more of the following three principles -
    Organizations are ruled by laws of complexity (The systemic/complexity principle) Emerging evidence from systems theory and chaos theory indicates that large social systems cannot be explained by Newton's laws of motion that is their behaviour is basically non-predictable.[original research?] Instead, change management helps such systems to jointly move towards a self-chosen direction. Some examples of methodologies that apply systemic principles are
    • Appreciative Inquiry,
    • Open Space Technology,
    • Systemic Constellations,
    • The World Cafe, etc.

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:14 pm